Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Do you want the good news first, or the bad?

It's amazing how we're expected to jump thru hoops but our judge can make a mistake and not feel any obligation to correct it.

As you may have guessed, I'm leading with the bad news. Our judge was given a 3x5 index card with the exact spelling of how we wanted our kids names to be listed on their new birth certificates. We wanted to keep their original birth first names and give them middle names that meant something to us. So what does the judge do? She gives them the middle names as their first names. When our attorney received the adoption decree, she talked to the judge and was told the judge made a mistake but if we wanted it corrected it would require another court hearing date which would be set for who knows when, hence causing another delay! Ugh! Why can't she just change it? If we leave it as is, it will be filed on their new birth certificates in their birth town and we'd have to incur additional costs to get it changed once the kids are home. And in the meantime I have only a few days to enroll the kids on my health insurance and their school registration would be all wrong! Once again, UGH! I don't know anymore, I think this is just the straw that broke the camels back and I'm loosing it! Sorry for the venting.

On the plus side, we stayed up until 11:30 pm last night so that we could call Poland and talk to Bartek & Kasia. Bartek was the most talkative and even that was yes & no answers. We did have the help of our new friend Michael, to act as interpreter. So it wasn't like Bartek didn't understand. I think it was more that it was 7:30 am over there and he was still sleepy. Kasia on the other hand wouldn't talk because, we were told later, she got too emotional and started crying. She was so happy that we called but sad that we weren't together. Isn't that bittersweet. I want my babies home!

8 comments:

kelly said...

Uuuugghhhh! It's always something with international adoptions! I hope this gets resolved quickly for you guys!!

Lee and Martha said...

Oh my goodness! Venting is okay! You are definitely entitled! It is certainly a frustrating mistake and one I hope as well gets resolved quickly. Deep Cleansing Breaths - Have I offered that advice before? Hang in there!!

Lee and Martha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Oh Debbie-how frustrating! I know it's easier said than done but just keep the faith and we'll all keep praying that this will be resolved quickly.Glad that you and Jeff were able to finally make a phone connection with Bartek and Kasia even though it didn't go as well as you would have liked.We know how anxious you are to get the children home and we pray that will happen very soon.

Lou and Babs

Adoptive Parents of Three said...

I understand your frustration. I hope that one day, many years from now, this will be a comic relief for your family gatherings.

James and Melanie said...

How pathetic! SOmething so simple and yet they can't get it right! I would be over the edge/ frustrated as well! Keep your eyes looking up! This to shall pass and you'll have your babies home soon!

C Speh said...

On the good side it can turn into a funny story for the kids to tell! I know how it goes. Our judge is going on vacation during our bonding requiring us to be here almost 4.5 weeks before the court date. Oh well. - Not so much to be done. Do you have an idea on when you will be returning? Hope it is soon. The weather is better here, but still a decent amount of rain:)

Jeff and Debbie said...

C Speh, thanks for pointing out the lighter side. Yes, I'm sure we'll have a good laugh some day about this.

We probably won't be traveling until early August. Our kids and the kids at their orphanage are all going to the mountains from 7/15 - 7/31.