Friday, June 12, 2009

Surprise!

Wouldn't you know it, with just four more full days here at Kolobrzeg, we finally found a free internet cafe, about 3 blocks from our apartment!

Oh well, still no pictures, but here's a quick run down of what we've been doing:

6/1 Picked up kids from orphanage, appeared in court, was asked to come back on 6/17, arrived in Kolobrzeg and walked, walked, walked (got lost looking for grocery store);

6/2 Went to an indoor swimming pool that had a twisted slide. They don't use chlorine, but salt instead. Very interesting, easy to float. We then went to a park where they had an obstacle course in the trees that you hook your cable onto. Bartek did this, and of course we forgot the camera. I then vowed to ALWAYS carry it with me.

6/3 Walked about 20 minutes into the Old Town which had the new shopping mall. We bought soccer shoes and a ball for Bartek and little pink tennies for Kasia (turns out she does like pink afterall!)

6/4 Went to a different park, where on the way we had to get a smaller ball for Kasia, and we all played soccer, more or less. Bartek is VERY good and whipped the pants off of Mama & Tata (sorry daddy, Polish is coming so quick and naturally for us). It rained and then we went to the other family's apartment to help celebrate their son's birthday.

6/5 Rained all morning, but in the afternoon (3:00 ish) we went out and rented what the kids call go-karts. They were peddle go karts and not the powered ones we thought of.

6/6 Got a ride into town to use internet, searched for a computer game for Bartek but settled on getting a movie instead and walked home. We all sat on the couch and watched Jackie Chan (very amusing, chinese dubbed in English, dubbed in Polish) when we got home and ate popcorn.

6/7 did laundry and watched the rain come down.

6/8 More rain (seeing a pattern here?), walked to the movie/Kino and saw a movie we had no intention to (small language barrier). It was sooooo good, that Tata and Kasia fell asleep. Got some of our photos printed for the kids books (so they don't forget our pretty faces).

6/9 Went back to the park with the jungle cables so Jeff could do it too (and I could get pictures) but no one was there. Instead we went to the small carnival set up in a small parking lot. I'm talking really small 4 rides. We went on the bumper cars and some other ride that I can't describe, but was really fun.

6/10 Walked to the beach, and on the way it rained. Continued on after it stopped and was a beautiful day. Ate some delicious ice cream on the boardwalk, then walked home. Rained some more.

6/11 Took a ride out into the Baltic Sea on a Viking ship, and .... that's right it rained! Walked to main part of tourist area (where we're staying) and paid for the kdis to play in an indoor playground (similar to McDonald's) and they still had energy to spare after an hour. How do they do it!

6/12 Rained again, even though this is supposed to be the nicer week of our stay. But found this internet cafe and am able to update our blog!!!!

Yes it rains practically every day, and yes we're walking everywhere, but we wouldn't trade it for the world! I think I've actually lost a few pounds.

If I don't get back one more time before the 17th, I'll definitely be able to update with pictures when we get to Poland (I think, you never know and just go with the flow).

Thank you everyone for your concern while we were MIA, and always, thank you for your prayers.

Much love,
Debbie & Jeff

7 comments:

sarah said...

So glad to hear all is going well! I can't wait to see pictures. :)

I LOVED all the walking we did in Poland! A great way to see the sites, pass the time, and get to know one another.

C Speh said...

Sounds great and so much fun! Can't wait to see your pictures! I just looked up the town you are in and it is relatively close to where we will be "hopefully" going shortly. Can I ask how you found everything to do? Just by wandering around or did you get recommendations from the orphanage?

How are you dressing your daughter, and is the weather a bit chilly being in the low 70's with the rain? I'm repacking to put in some warmer clothes so I thought I would ask.

Thanks

Unknown said...

I just came up to check my e-mail one more time today and decided to see if there were any new comments to your previous entry. I was so excited to see that you had an update! It sounds like all of you are having so much fun and doing so many things. I wish the weather was better for you but it doesn't sound like it has stopped your activities. We all miss you but know that you are so happy to be spending time getting to know your children and them getting to know you. We will look forward to another update.

Lou and Babs

Adoptive Parents of Three said...

Just found your blog from clicking "one too many times." Glad I found it! Would love to share my blog with you. Email me at email.mybrid at gmail.com

kelly said...

Wow! It sounds like things are going great!! I can relate to the daily walking and daily rain, but in our case it was Jan and usually turned to snow :-). Hope things continue to go smoothly & you all enjoy your time together!

James and Melanie said...

Wow! No wonder you're tired! I'm exhausted just by reading it! Sounds like you're having a blast and I can't wait to see some pictures. Are you headed to Warsaw?

Lee and Martha said...

Sounds like you are having a super, great time! Can't wait to see pictures. Wow! What incredible memories you are making!