Thursday, June 18, 2009

A few things I observed while in Poland

Here are a few observations I made while in Poland:

1) No one smiles;
2) The weather is very unpredictable, but frequently changes;
3) The people of Poland do not use clothes dryers like we do in the states, but use
clothe drying racks. So plan on lightweight layers if you're traveling and plan
on 1 to 1 1/2 days for drying if you will be washing clothes while here;
4) Where we were in Kolobrzeg, it was very breezy to full blown windy, so even on
the nicest days it was a bit chilly. However, even at it's coldest the most I
needed to wear was a sweatshirt and maybe a windbreaker.
5) Don't even consider driving in Poland. The roads are about 1 1/2 car widths
wide, so it's like playing chicken with on coming cars even when in your own
lane. Makes for a very exciting ride.
5) For the families who are using Mimi and will be traveling with Lech, don't be
afraid to ask for his service, like driving you somewhere. He's very agreeable
but doesn't offer up anything. You have to ask.
6) We got a lot of our ideas on things to do from Lech and from local tourist
information booklets.
7) I wasn't able to use my laptop at any of the cafes, you had to use your own. So if I had to do it all over again, I'd just take my digital pictures to a photo shop and have them put on a cd. It turned out to be just one more very heavy item to lug around with the rest of our luggage.

I hope this helps those who will be traveling soon.

I plan on updating this one more time before we leave on Saturday, hopefully with pictures.

Ciao!

3 comments:

C Speh said...

Sounds like things are still going well. I like the small picture of your family on the couch. The kids look so excited. I hope you can get more pictures loaded up. Any idea of what the issue was for the Internet connection? Thanks for the info on the location as well.

Lee and Martha said...

Wonderful to hear all is well. LOVE LOVE LOVE the pictures. You all look great!
Thanks for the valuable information - All feedback and observation is so welcomed! I am bummed to hear about the "no smiling" thing becuase....well... I am smiler!! :) Have a safe journey home!

sarah said...

Too true about Lech!! We picked his brain non stop and he never minded a bit. :)

Bummer about your laptop - I couldn't have survived the trip without mine (we picked an apartment with wireless internet though).