Friday, November 27, 2009

I can't believe it's.....

I can't believe it's been nearly 2 months since my last posting. So much has happened, so many firsts and yet so common.

First let me say all is well with the family. We've just been enjoying getting to know one another. I've come to realize that, although we love these children with all our hearts, it's still a matter of blending 4 personalities, very strong personalities together. It's like being in a relationship, starting with the introduction, and trying to make it work. A little harder to mold their personalities when they're older, and not starting at a younger age :). However, we're committed to the end.

Now, a few firsts:

* I came to realize how much my daughter trusts me. When we first came together, she would never let me brush her hair. Said it hurt, even though when she brushed her hair, she would literally smack the brush against her head and rip it thru her hair. Then it slowly became the routine that I would brush her hair in the morning and at night. But just the other day, when Grandma offered to brush her hair, she said "no I want mama to do it". she trusts me, she really trusts me.

* As you know, they've experienced their first day of school, but now they've had their first progress report and are doing great. Kasia is doing above expected. Bartek is holding his own and getting B's & C's in his classes. Not bad for a 5th grade boy who's only been speaking English for the past 2 1/2 months. Both of them are doing great with their English. They still speak Polish to one another, but unfortunately they're forgetting some of it. I'm going to have to figure out a way to help them save it. Even though Bartek says he doesn't like Poland any more. This saddens me. But I know he's trying to fit in.

* They've had their first trick-or-treating experience. They knew what Halloween was and had experienced it in Poland but, never trick-or-treating. It took me 2 weeks to make both their costumes, but I managed to finish in time, even though I worked on them right up to the night they went out.

* We took our first road trip (20 hours in a pick-up) together, to Wisconsin. Where they met my dad for the first time, some aunts & uncles, and many cousins. Not all of them yet, but the majority of them.

* They experienced their first Colorado snowfall (2 feet in a 24 hour period).

* Their first s'mores. We couldn't camp outside so we had movie night where we all slept in our sleeping bags on the family room floor and watched movies and made s'mores in the fireplace.

* And, of course their first Thanksgiving!

Well, I think that's it or now. We're very thankful to all our firsts, and the fact that we're finally together as a family. Many blessings to all our new and old friends, and families. And just in case we don't make it back again for another 2 months, a very Merry Christmas and Happy Chanuka!

5 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

And meanwhile in Warsaw, November 11th was Independence Day (for the 91st year).

This week I have had to think of Poles and Poland a lot, so it is well to look at your children. I sat through a show about a humanitarian psychoanalyst who started a foundation for victims of torture.

And of course: BEGIN HOW YOU MEAN TO CONTINUE! for you and for the children alike.

Wesolych Swiat and all that!

sarah said...

A very wise adoption-world friend once told me that when you are adding children to your family, it is not a simple 2 adults + 2 kids = one 4 person family. Instead, the number of relationships in your house suddenly exponentially grows from one relationship(yours and your husbands, to six in one house! (You+husband; You+daughter; You+son; daughter+son, husband+daughter, husband+son) Not an easy process to manage, but one well worth the effort!

I'm so happy everything is going so well in your world! The moments that you can visibly see and feel their trust are extremely precious. I love it!

Anonymous said...

Debbie, I just read through your blog again. Now that I have so many other Polish adoption blogs to follow, I'm having a hard time matching up the stories to the families. I'm in shock all over again. Reading about how your famiily is bonding now is so wonderful. You have been through so much in the past year. You have so so much to be thankful for. A beautiful family through a heartwrenching journey.

Lee and Martha said...

It's so wonderful to see pictures and hear how well everything and everyone is doing! It's good to hear from you! I hope the next time you are in Wisconsin, we will have the opportunity to meet. It would be joy. The picture of your husband and the children in the woods...I think walking the dog is absolutely beautiful! Happy Happy Happy Holidays !! :)

Jennifer A. said...

Yay! So good to read your update. It has been awhile for my blog too - overdue! Your kids have done so much in just the past couple of months. Great to hear about school successes and family adventures. Don't the holidays have new meaning this year?!! :)